The Old Grammar School, by Steve Wallhead, 1980
Full-size version, 77kB
This sketch shows what was originally called the Free Grammar School,
but which is now a private house and generally known as the Old Grammar School.
It was built in 1883 and is the first building you see when entering Wymondham
from the west, travelling from Melton Mowbray.
The original Wymondham Grammar School is adjacent to St. Peter's Church
at the bottom of Church Lane. It was founded and endowed by Sir John Sedley in
1637, who left £400 for the purchase of land for the support of the master.
The Sir John Sedley Educational Foundation still receives rental income from
Wymondham Grammar School Farm near Melton Mowbray, and remains an active force
for the good of the village.
The Old Grammar School had two masters and only taught boys, some of whom were
boarders. The Syston and Peterborough railway passed through the village and
so it was only a matter of time before the school closed and pupils from the
village travelled by train to the school in Melton Mowbray.
Truck drivers leaving the village past the Old Grammar School occasionally
misjudge the Z-bends and finish up in the field near the Old Mere (a section
of Roman road), which branches off the main road just outside the village.
The location of
this page is http://www.wymondhamleics.free-online.co.uk/gallery/gramsch1.htm
Find it easily at welcome.to/wymondham